POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : collision detection : Re: collision detection Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:28:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: collision detection
From: Tom Melly
Date: 23 Feb 2001 07:36:01
Message: <3a965931$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
> In article <3a9629a5@news.povray.org>, "Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk>
> wrote:
>
> > Presumably the answer is "No", but is it possible to test directly
whether
> > the intersection of two objects actually resulted in any actual shape (a
> > collision) or not?
>
> "No"

Hmm, okay. How about this - if I render the following object:

#declare X=0.99;//1.1

intersection{
  sphere{0, 1 translate x*-X}
  sphere{0, 1 translate x*X}
  pigment{Red}
}

I will see at the end of render "CSG Intersection succeeded = 0 " (if X>=1)
or a positive value (if X<1).

Now, for collision detection, we are not interested in textures or
resolution. Would it not be fairly easy (?!?) to write a patch that would
render two objects as an intersection and return the CSG intersection
succeeded value?

The "render" would not have to produce any image output and all textures,
media, photons, radiosity, etc. could be ignored to speed up the process.

Would this be slower/harder to implement than any of the other suggestions?